Skip to main content
Skip to main content

International postdoctoral fellows

We distinguish between two categories of international postdoctoral fellows: those coming from outside Canada and those currently in Canada.

International postdoctoral fellows (outside Canada)

The public health situation generated by the COVID-19 pandemic has implications for inviting and hosting international postdoctoral fellows.

The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies has a variety of tools available to guide you through the process and help ensure you meet the public health requirements of the Canadian authorities (Immigration Canada and Health Canada).

International postdoctoral fellows (currently in Canada)

If you are a foreign postdoctoral fellow currently in Canada and you need to extend your work permit, make sure you start your work permit renewal process as soon as possible, ideally 6 months before the expiry of the current permit. For more information, see Immigration - Postdoctoral and medical Fellows .

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required to receive a salary or fellowship award from Université Laval or another Canadian employer.

You can get one by presenting your work permit or visitor record to a Service Canada Centre .

Health and hospitalization insurance

You must have valid health and hospitalization insurance coverage for the duration of your stay in Canada. As a temporary worker, you are eligible for coverage under the Quebec health insurance plan.  Consult the registration process for the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec  (RAMQ) health insurance plan. The documents required to open a file are the original documents issued by the Canadian and Quebec immigration authorities.

With some exceptions, you will be entitled to health and hospitalization insurance after a waiting period of up to 3 months following your registration. You must purchase private insurance to provide coverage during the waiting period.

Tax exemption for fellows recruited abroad

Under Quebec law, postdoctoral fellows recruited abroad may qualify for a tax exemption. Visit the website of ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieu r (in French only) for the program guide and required forms .

Work permits

You must obtain a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada  (CIC). Depending on your country of origin, CIC may require an electronic travel authorization (ETA) or a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.