Home > Graduate studies >  Dispute settlement

Dispute settlement

When problems arise during the course of your studies, it is important to act quickly.


Several people share responsibility for supervising graduate students and can intervene to prevent the situation from deteriorating.

  1. Your program director, who is responsible for your study progress  
  2. The vice dean of studies or research at your faculty
  3. The vice dean and dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

Depending on the type of problem, the Office of the Ombudsman or the Harassment Prevention and Resolution Centre may also be called in.

As a student in a research master’s or doctoral program, you should be aware that misunderstandings and disagreements with your supervisor can slow or compromise your progress. In such cases, it’s important to state your needs and expectations clearly. Your supervisor should do the same so that together you can decide on the solutions for moving forward.

However, when the relationship deteriorates and bridges are burned, the program director and the vice dean of studies or research may attempt to resolve or mediate the issues that arise. As a last resort, the vice dean and the dean of the FESP may examine the matter under dispute and attempt to establish common ground so that you can continue your studies.